Sunday, May 8, 2011

MOTHER'S DAY 2011

Mother's Day...I'm not sure whether to be grateful, happy or just down right sad. I have three wonderful children, and nine grandchildren. I love each one for exactly who they are. I love to spend time with them and never too busy when called upon. My children know that they are loved, I have spent the better part of the past 35 years making sure that they know. If today were my last day, I would hope that they would never doubt that God had taken me home because I had accomplished exactly what God had expected of me as a Mother. The same goes for my Grandchildren. They know that their needs are very important to me, and they need to be hugged, kissed, cuddled and caudled to pieces. All of this makes me grateful and happy. They have each made it so easy to be a loving Mother and Memaw.

The sad part...My Mother is in an assisted living center. She no longer understands that she is a Mother, or ever was. She has Alzheimer's and over the past almost four years we have watched her mind completely give way to anger, sadness and forgetfulness. Each memory torn away from her, leaving her in a world that she cannot understand. Visits to see her have become sad and infrequent. As her life continues in a downward spiral to a world where she no longer has attachments to people she has known forever. I love her, and wish I could change the disease that has taken her from us, but I can't. So I wish her a Happy Mother's Day, to which she replies, "Oh Thank you, but I'm not your Mother." It's OK Mom, I know you don't remember, but I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment