Monday, August 13, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY....to me.

I am a child of the 50s and 60s...back when you couldn't trust anyone over 30.  Thirty was considered so old...your parents were in their 30s and some in their 40s. OLD.....


Today is my birthday.  I am OLD...according to what we believed as children...and there are days that I feel older than OLD.  But as a rule, I feel younger than my age. Not using a walker, usually don't have to find help to get out of chair, can put in a full days work, chase after grandchildren, etc, etc.
But the real challenge is the memory. You know, the simple things that seem to slip our minds; like where are my glasses, that sort of thing. I don't mind that so much, but remembering things that happened long years ago, those things I don't want to forget.

My Dad waking me early on a Saturday morning, quiet, don't wake your Mom or you brother...Just to take me to breakfast, to spend time with me.  Early morning smells of breakfast cooking at my Grandparents' farm.  My Granny talking quietly in the backseat of our car on the long drive from her house to ours...tellling me stories about her childhood.  Daddy telling us "stories"about his childhood in the Dust Bowl years of Oklahoma, standing in the heat of the day watering down the old swamp cooler.  Summer mornings before it was too hot to breathe, the smells of Dial soap, pot roast and Wind Song perfume.   Waking up as a new bride, waking up to a beautiful new baby...watching my children grow into amazing adults with their own children, their own memories, both to make and remember.


Goodness, time flies doesn't it?  Every year seems to just go by so fast...how to remember every thing, every person, every event that happens in those years?  My grandson, Aidan, told me one time that he just puts things he wants to remember "waaaay back in the back of my head", so he won't forget.  Do you ever have those thoughts that just float into your mind, and you think, "I haven't thought about that in a long time" or "I remember that!"  Those are the thoughts that you have put waaaay back in your head so that when you need them, their there.  Birthdays are sort of like that...they float forward once a year....causing you to think back over the years and remember all the blessings, both good and bad.  Makes you stop to think about the people in your life, those you remember fondly, those that are a distant memory, and those who continue to bless your life.



Thank you to my hubby for making every birthday worth living, to my children who call to raz me about my age, to my grandchildren just for being here, to my friends for all the good wishes.  Praise God for allowing me to live surrounded by love.



Life will be brighter than noonday, and darkness will become like morning.
Job 11:17




No comments:

Post a Comment