Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Fall into Thankfulness ...

We have finally reached fall in Texas.  Over the weekend I wore capris and a t-shirt.  Today I am wearing sweat pants and a heavy t-shirt. But the real change is that today I am wearing my wooly houseslippers.  As a rule, when I'm at home, I am barefoot.  Can't help it, I grew up barefoot, and continue to be barefoot.  But when the little toesies turn blue,  it's time to get out the winter footwear.
I love this time of year...we don't get it long enough though.  Usually fall gives us 70-80 degree temps for about two or three weeks, and that doesn't start until the end of October or the first of November.  Then by the end of November we get temps down into the 30s at night and highs of 60 or so during the day.  However, we have had many Halloweens so humid that the kids sweated right through their costumes.  Many Thanksgivings and few Christmas' that I remember, we have worn shorts.  Every year is different, but just the glimpses of cooler weather are such a blessing.
 
This week we honor our Veterans with Veteran's Day. If you are a Facebooker, you have seen pictures, prayers, poems and every possible gratitude for our Veterans past, present and future. Every family has someone, or several someones who have served in the military, sacrificing in many ways to keep our country free.  My favorite was "Freedom ain't free".  So, so true. After the months preparing for and participating in our national election process, I hope that everyone understands that freedom comes with a price...starting with fighting for our freedoms as a nation.
 
 
 
 
Our servicemen and women face that reality every day.  God Bless them and keep them safe until they are all home. There are service personnel all over the world who fight daily for the United States, and they should be honored every day, not just on Veterans Day.
 
 
 
image photo : Thanksgiving CenterpieceBelieve it or not, next week is Thanksgiving. I love Thanksgiving. I love the family gatherings, the incredible food, the children, my husband snoozing somewhere pretending to watch the football games after dinner. I love the sense of thankfulness...for all of these things, but also for personal reasons as well. I am thankful for that man watching the football games, even if I am not thankful for the football games on TV incessantly every weekend and Holiday. He and I have been married for almost 39 years, and I cannot imagine life without him. I am thankful for the three amazing children, two daughters in law, a son in law, nine grandchildren and three on the way. I am thankful for so many things and God has been so good that it is difficult to name them all. Most of all God has blessed me with His love, given me His grace and mercy. How could my life be any more wonderful ?
 
Well, considering Thanksgiving is next week, that means that Christmas is just around the bend. I'm not in the mood yet,  but I'm getting there.  I think I'll get ready by remembering the reason for the season. The birth of Jesus Christ...everything else with fall in line after that...a reason to stay in the mood all year round.
 
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment